Bolgheri

Bolgheri has always been associated in common memory with the famous poet Giosuè Carducci, who moved here in 1839 when he was only four years old. Bolgheri has a very ancient history, with origins dating back to the Middle Ages. Of particular interest is the castle of Bolgheri, located at the end of the long avenue of cypresses, not far from the church of S. Antonio.

 

The castle, on the outside, is covered with exposed brick. The building rises above a “shoe” plinth: the walls appear marked by single and mullioned windows. The crowning is with merlons.

 

On the right side, there is a high tower with a pointed arch in the center that guarantees access to the town; above it is placed a glazed and polychrome terracotta of a circular shape, which bears a garland of leaves and fruits along the edge and on the inside the arms of the counts of Castagneto (coat of arms of the Gherardesca).

Open chat